Sunday, January 27, 2008

it's official!

Shortly after my last post, Tinker officially became an emotional support dog.

I had to go back to Walter Reed earlier this month. At first, we were going to board her -- I had even set all of that up. After much deliberation, it was decided that she was going. Let the last-minute madness begin.

The woman that does my meds wrote up my letters. She was more than happy to do so and had them ready for me in less than two days. One was for my university, and the other for Tinker. Step number one -- the biggest one -- was done and out of the way. Time to move on to the four-legged side of paperwork.

First of all, I want to let you know that my vet is awesome. They squeezed me in just hours after I had called, as well as getting me everything I had requested and more. A quick check-up at half price, a rabies shot, a health certificate, and a short note stating that she is healthy, up to date on her shots, and is seen at the vet regularly. They even put a copy of the note from the VA prescribing her to me in her file. Seriously, awesome.

Tink was all ready to come with us. Unfortunately, the hotel we were staying in was a little resistant. My mom and I each called once. I was told that I needed to have a note from my doctor at Walter Reed and that my dog needed to be seen by a military veterinarian in order to be allowed to stay -- even though I already had all of the necessary paperwork. My mom calls, explains we're staying for only one night and with that in consideration, they changed their answer.

The hotel employees were everything from a bit rude to the usual "aw, what a cute puppy!" While checking in, Tinker barked once at something and I got a rather cold warning that she "better not do that all night." No, she won't, she'll be quiet and sleep all night. Which she did.

In the end, I'm just glad that I carry an envelope of paperwork in her backpack. It makes a world of a difference.

No comments: